Monday, February 02, 2004

Persistence

That's what I need a healthy dose of.

I'm in the fund raising biz (er, excuse me, I believe the latest politically correct term is "institutional advancement") and it's my job to convince little old ladies to let me into their homes so I can convince them to leave a little something to the charity I work for. It's not going well.

I'm a nice young woman, not threatening at all, but they really don't want to meet with me - in their homes, in public, anywhere. It's frustrating because the charity needs private $ more than ever so there is pressure on me to find it, but I can't force them to meet with me! So the persistence is needed to keep on trying and at the very least I'll be able to say that I tried and failed and it wasn't a case of failing to try.

11:02 a.m. Wow! How do you like that! I just got an appointment with a hot prospect. Not a little old lady, but a 72 year old man (why don't we say "little old man" I wonder?).

3:18 p.m. Will wonders never cease?! Guess I got me a big ole pot of persistence. Just secured an appointment with a little old lady, age 77, who actually said "I'm so glad you called!"

10:59 p.m. Up late, past my bedtime but I just scored code for comments! It's not pretty, but it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment