Thursday, December 07, 2006

Ex Marks The Spot

I bumped into my Ex last night. Or rather, he bumped into me.

I was shopping at BJ's and he came up behind me and said "Well, hello there." I know he was trying to be friendly, and since I hadn't seen him he could have completely avoided me if he'd wanted to. It was the most awkward conversation I've ever had.

We started with the "what's new?" thing and he got a little testy and replied "Come on, I know you know the answer to that." Yes, he sold the marital homestead and bought a new house with his current girlfriend. And he assumed I knew because the guy that bought the house was working with a friend of mine who is a real estate agent. That's not how I knew, but anyway ... the point was that he didn't tell me. And so I didn't tell him when I got a new job. And of course he knew about the new job even though I hadn't told him. We live in a small town, folks.

So it was a struggle to get a conversation going - and then he just didn't seem to know how to let it drop. There would be a pause and he would just look at me, like he was willing me to tell him more. I didn't want to give up anything. My life is my life and I don't need or want to share it with him anymore. I'm sure he walked away from the encounter thinking I was angry and hostile. Maybe I was, but not for the reasons he thought. He just sapped my energy which was already low at that point in the day.

Frankly, I just don't care anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment