Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Carter's Got Class

I'm sure some hot-blooded radical out there will disagree with me, but I'm going to say it anyway.

Jimmy Carter's got class.

Turns out we've only got five tickets to the Pope's funeral, and Jimmy Carter is not going to get one. I'm not sure how the story is being circulated, but the bottom line is this - five people will be representing the good old U. S. of A. at the funeral: President and Mrs. Bush, former presidents Bush and Clinton, and Condoleeza Rice.

No matter how he got snubbed, he got snubbed. While you might convince me that as the Secretary of State, Condie deserves to go, I think she could have stepped aside for a former president - the first and only president to entertain the Pope at the White House. Jimmy could have asked that we ask for more tickets (I know it's a crass term, but I'm not sure how else to phrase it) to the funeral, but he won't.

Cause he's got class.

Wonder if Bill Frist and the rest of Congress who are chartering a plane and crashing the party without tickets or even hotel rooms, for that matter, will invite Jimmy to stow away with them?

If they do, I hope he says no.

No comments:

Post a Comment