Tuesday, April 26, 2005

T-Minus One And Counting

My time here is coming to a close.

I'll be in the office this afternoon and tomorrow morning and then ... summer vacation! Took matters into my own hands this morning at the staff meeting and informed my colleagues that I would be taking unused vacation time starting next week. I didn't discuss it in advance with my boss - I just told everyone (with absolutely no tears and no cracks in my voice) that since my position was ending on June 30, and since they have already advertised for my replacement, I would be taking my unused vacation time starting May 2.

I could tell that some of them were a little shocked that my departure was so imminent, and a couple of them have come in and had private conversations with me that have convinced me that I did the right thing in making the announcement myself. They respect me for the grace and dignity that I've shown, and I feel good about it too.

There is also universal agreement that I will go on to bigger and better things - when I'm ready. My plan was to take the summer off and not even look for a job until September, but just last night I scanned the classified ads and saw a position that sounds perfect for me. I'm debating about whether or not to apply ... the more I think about it, the more I think I should at least send in my resume. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment