Thursday, April 06, 2006

Play Together. Learn Together. Grow Together.

At least I think I heard that was the tagline for Sesame Beginnings, a new video series aimed at six month old infants.
 
The series has sparked some controversy, and deservedly so.  I don't have kids and I'm not an expert.  But here's the thing - if you do have kids, you shouldn't use the television as a baby sitter.  No one knows for sure, but I suspect that those who claim watching too much television and playing too many video games contributes to ADHD may be right.
 
(Here's where I start sounding like an old fuddy-duddy ...)
 
Kids today are just too over-stimulated.  Whatever happened to sitting down on the floor and playing with your kids?  To reading them a book?  To talking to them over dinner?  To teaching them a few basic tenets in life like "do unto others as you would have done unto you" and "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all?" 
 
What really irks me?  The "Learn Together" part of that tagline.  Like we need to teach the adults along with infants. 
 
Sad that it just may be true.

No comments:

Post a Comment