Sunday, August 08, 2004

Too Good To Be True

I should have known there would be a catch.

So there I am, totally awake and alive and greeting the dawn of a new day. I had plenty of time and I was in no hurry. I cruised along and without even planning it I realized that I would be passing by the outlet center around 9:00. A perfect one hour diversion. I could spend an hour shopping, drive to my uncle's place, visit with him for an hour, and then continue on to the family reunion.

Except the outlets don't open until 10:00.

What?!? It's Saturday in August - why is this place not opening until 10:00? So, I did a brisk 7/10 mile walk around the perimeter and then decided to do another audio post. I called. No answer, no busy signal -- just dead air. I look at my phone. Full strength, full battery. I dial again. Nothing. Well, the third time is the charm, right? Wrong. Three strikes and you're out.

At that point I really felt like just driving through the middle of that flock of seagulls that were congregated in the middle of the parking lot, but I didn't want Trucklet to get shat upon, and I'd already murdered a yellow chickadee that was trying to get away from an oncoming tractor trailer.

So I managed to kill half an hour, got back on the road, visited with my uncle and went to the reunion. More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment