Tuesday, August 24, 2004

The Vacation: Part III

Now, where was I? Oh yes, we were up to Thursday.

Lazed around most of the day nursing my headache. Friday dawned much as the day before - overcast and gloomy. But on that day's itinerary was a visit with my friend Barbara, so I put on the new dress and off we went.

Barbara hired me for my first job out of college back in 1987. It seemed like we worked together for YEARS, but looking back, it was only five or six years. Barbara was separated when I met her, and in 1993 (1994?) she took a vacation to Martha's Vineyard with a friend of hers. On the ferry on the way over, they spotted a man with his dog and a cooler of beer. Barbara asked for a beer. A year or so later, he asked her to marry him. And the rest, they say, is history.

Yes, it's true - she met him on the ferry and within a year she had finalized her divorce, quit her job, moved, married, and had a new job more fabulous than the one she left. And now, they've been married for nearly ten years and then have two adorable children, a 4 year old and a two year old. Of course, I'm sure there have been bumps along the way (like the miscarriage with twins) but it does have the makings of "fairy tale" written all over it. Now they split their time between NJ and the summer cottage on the vineyard. Barbara recently quit her job so she could be a stay-at-home Mom. Of course, she has a live-in nanny for those times when she wants to go out to lunch with her girlfriends. Yes, life is rough.

But it was a fun visit with Barbara. We did some shopping and I got not one but TWO Brighton belts. I'm not much of a label hound, but my friend Sandie is totally into Brighton leathers so she'll appreciate my purchase. How could I not - they were 50% off so I got two for the price of one. And I needed a new belt. And a spare. Mary got the belt I really wanted - reversible black and red - but they didn't have it in my size.

So, what did we do for dinner Friday night ... I forget. Saturday was more of the same. I took a walk to the general store (2 miles roundtrip) which was when I made that audio post. We all enjoyed lobster for our farewell dinner (remind me to tell you about the lobster bisque in my next post) and then it was Sunday and we bolted out of there to catch our 10:45 a.m. ferry. Spent the better part of the day driving back but made it safe and sound.

And now - I'm off to a networking thing. Coming tomorrow - The Vacation: Part IV - The BAY-BEE !!

No comments:

Post a Comment