Monday, February 20, 2006

Power.

I have it.  Finally.  After being without it for 48 hours.
 
We had a wicked storm blow through, and much of the county was without power over the weekend.  It actually wasn't too terrible.  I spent Friday night in front of the gas oven, surrounded by candles reading "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire."  I slept just fine, but it was 45 degrees in the house when I woke up on Saturday.  Turned the oven on again for a few hours, and then went to Susan's house for the afternoon.  We talked and cooked dinner and watched movies.  Spent the night at her place and when I came back again on Sunday, still no power and 44 degrees in the house.
 
I turned the oven on again for a few hours and made plans to go see The Man.  He was without power on Friday, but managed to get it back on Saturday.  I didn't know what I would do ... when I left the back bedroom was 39 degrees and I could see my breath.  I just hoped it would come back on, and if it didn't, then I was going to borrow The Man's kerosene heater.  Really didn't want to have to deal with burst pipes.
 
As luck would have it, I got power in the late afternoon, and I was able to return to a fully warmed house and enjoy a long hot shower this morning.  All in all, it could have been much worse.
 
Just finished a quick GChat with Maria.  She's not blogging anymore (at least, not where she used to be) and I hadn't heard from her in quite a while.  Nice to know that she's doing well.  I have been somewhat lax in keeping up with my blog and my blog friends, for two reasons.
 
First, my laptop is still on the fritz.  It works, if I have it hooked up to an external monitor.  But the set-up is in that back bedroom (the one that got down to 39 degrees over the weekend) and it's just not fun to sit there and use the computer.  I need to correct my computer situation.  And I will.  Eventually.
 
The second reason I'm not blogging as much?  I sit in front of the computer all day long.  Typing.  Editing.  Switching back and forth between applications.  Sitting in front of the computer screen is the last thing I want to do when I get home at night.
 
So, my job has taken the fun out of blogging.  Time to find a new job.

No comments:

Post a Comment