Saturday, July 23, 2005

Holy Smoke

I just set off the smoke detector.

All I was doing was toasting a multigrain muffin. It didn't even burn, but because the house is so shut up, the little bit of heat smoke from the toaster oven set off the detector. Nothing like the shrill shriek of a smoke detector to wake you up.

Still enjoying the loafing ... I think. I've had a headache off and on for the last few days. Combination of the heat and humidity and going in and out of air conditioning, I think. Combined with lack of sleep and lack of exercise (haven't been to the gym for a workout in over a week) and my body is just rebeling.

I am trying to take care of myself. I even went to the doctor yesterday and had my blood pressure checked. When I was in South Carolina last week with my parents, we were talking about all our aches and pains as older people are wont to do, and somewhere along the way the blood pressure monitor came out. And I blew 140/100 several times.

But yesterday the doc said it was 116/84 so I'm not going to sweat it. Many of the home units aren't calibrated properly, I'm told. I just don't want to have to go on medication, especially now that I don't have any health coverage.

I've been out to dinner every night since Wednesday. Susan and I had a great meal at a locally renowned restaurant, and I have photos from that evening that I threatened to post, but I think I'll keep them to myself. Then on Thursday it was dinner with some girlfriends from my women's group. One of them just bought a new high priced condo in town, and it was lovely. I can't imagine ever spending that kind of money on a condo, but if you have it and that's how you want to spend it, more power to you. And last night it was dinner with Rich followed by an unplanned boat ride with his friends. Nothing like a clear crisp summer night on the lake to make you think "life is good."

Yes, life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment