Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Changing Demographics

I'm updating my profile with an online business publication, and I removed information related to my former employer and updated my annual household income.

Gulp.

I'm suddenly in a different demographic. I guess I hadn't thought about that previously. You don't ordinarily share your income with your friends, but sometimes when you are requesting a service or applying for a loan or trying to find a new place to live, you need to reveal your income.

And now I wonder how I would be treated if I had to go to my local bank. Would they even bother to take the time to talk to me? You just know that your name is on a list out there somewhere, and information about you can be bought and sold. Instead of Williams-Sonoma and Schwitzer Linens, will I suddenly start getting Lillian Vernon and JCPenney catalogs?

Food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment