Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Comfortable in My Skin

Ms. A. R. posed a question to me in the comments. She asked why, when I initially started this blog anonymously, did I begin to share its existence with friends and family?

At first, I wasn't going to answer that question. In some respects, the answer to the question is as private as my initial reasons for writing under a pseudonym. But I'm just tired enough (and possibly, drunk enough) to answer that question.

Anonymity gives you flexibility. You don't need to defend your words or your actions. Coming out and stating your thoughts and opinions is an entirely different matter. I've said previously that I admire those who reveal their names and faces - most specifically, John and Jenica. They got balls.

When I first started this blog - not so much in the balls department. I was still trying to figure out who I was, to be comfortable in my skin. I've given my real name, address and phone number to several of my readers. I've sent you postcards. I've been the lucky recipient of several mixed CDs and other gifts and greetings. As this blog has evolved, so have I.

I'm at a place where I'm confident in my talents and abilities. There are still many questions about my future, but I know that ultimately I'll come out of this a better person.

Whoever I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment