Saturday, September 11, 2004

1,095 Days Later

It dawned on me as I was driving back from Lowe's this morning ... I heard this mix on the radio, and there was a voice over of James Earl Jones and patriotic music. I realized that today is September 11, 2004. Three years since 9/11. I'm not very patriotic, but I felt chills running through my body, and a few tears welling up.

Not only was it three years ago, it was three years ago to the minute. It was 8:55 a.m. on my clock - roughly around the time that the first plane hit the first tower, yes? And do you know where I was 1,095 days ago today?

Lying on a table, getting ready to give blood for a regularly scheduled blood drive. The rest of the day was a blur. Time stood still and people were glued to the television set. People started showing up to give blood, and we tried to accomodate everyone, but the Red Cross staff was only prepared for a certain number of donors.

By noon, the governor had sent all state employees home, but I stuck around trying to help the Red Cross staff finish the blood drive. And I really didn't want to go home alone. I had actually just moved into this house, and I didn't know my neighbors yet. Looking back, I'm glad I didn't spend the day in front of the television, watching the news coverage. I was a little immune to the shock that everyone else was feeling.

A lot has happened in the last three years. Most importantly - life has gone on. I can't do anything to change what happened that day, I can only look forward and focus on what is to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment