Wednesday, February 02, 2005

90 Minute Detour

All I wanted to do was download the song of the week.

But iTunes has been acting up on me, and it keeps telling me I should download the latest update 4.0.7.1 or something like that. I tried, but kept getting an error. And then I couldn't even freakin' find the iTunes application on my computer.

So I did what no man would do. I read the directions.

I went to the support page and entered my error message:

1607: Unable to install InstallShield scripting RunTime

First I exposed all the hidden files. Then I tried running something at the command level. Didn't work. Read the instructions further. Discovered that sometimes doesn't work with XP. Checked the properties on the update I wanted to install. Determined which installer I needed. Tried to install. Couldn't because something else was using the program. Shut down and restarted. Tried again. Able to download and install the patch I needed. Shut down and restarted again. Double clicked the install shortcut and held my breath. It worked.

As much of a pain in the ass it was to go on this 90 minute detour, I'm proud of myself. I actually enjoy the challenge of trying to figure out how to make something work. I am a frustrated techie at heart. I really want to be a troubleshooter. I want to be able to train people to use technology to their advantage. I know this is what I want to do. I just need to find a way to put that into a cover letter and resume and somehow sneak past all the people who actually have experience doing this and convince the powers that be that even though I couldn't describe the process to you, I could follow the directions and make it work, and even better - I could and would happily do it for a fellow employee and that makes me ten times more valuable that your computer geek with the technical skills and zero personality and customer service skills.

I'll let you know if I like the song of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment