Friday, February 04, 2005

Alexander and the Terrible Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

Aren't you glad that this is the total opposite of my day?

My boss actually asked me to do something today. He's giving a presentation on the 24th and he wants to do it with PowerPoint. Could I talk him through it? Gee, Boss, why don't I just do it for you? I'm not really skilled with the program, but if I open it up and spend a few minutes playing around, I can figure it out. And my boss, well, he had to have someone else program his cell phone for him.

So by the time I got around to working on it (preparing bid sheets for the silent auction at tomorrow's event took precedence) it only took me half an hour to whip up a dozen slides. I emailed it to The Boss and ducked out for lunch. When I came back, he was sufficiently impressed. Then he showed me some handouts from a conference he'd been at, and asked me to replicate (i.e. totally copy and rip off) some slides from that. Including a photo of a little old lady who gave a bunch of money to some other organization.

Faster than you can type her name into Google images, I found the photo and created the extra slides. He was blown away, and I left early for my haircut feeling like I'd actually accomplished something today.

So, got my hair cut and colored. I'm totally blonde again, and I now have a fashionable bob. Susan met me at the shop and we went together to a fantastic wine bar where we met another friend, MJ. We split a bottle of wine and a series of tapas type appetizers and talked for two hours. It was a great girl's night out. Except for that moment when we were talking as girls are wont to do, and MJ asked me about the first guy I slept with after my separation.

Without batting an eye, I told her it was John. In reality, it was my friend R - the guy she is now dating after I introduced the two of them at my last party. I think she knew, or at least strongly suspected, that I was lying. But it's not my place to tell her. It was just one friend comforting another - he was there for me in my time of need and we reached out to one another.

It's fascinating, really. He was just there for me, and that occasionally included having sex. And then I got past the worst of it, and we just stopped having sex and went back to being friends - minus the benefits. If you think that men and women can't be friends after they stop having sex, you're wrong - it is possible.

So tomorrow - the big event. Lunch with Dr. Ruth. Is it any wonder we were talking about sex over drinks? I'm in charge of the silent auction, so I have to show up at 9:30 and will be there until at least 3:30. Normally, that would be fine, but tomorrow temperatures are supposed to climb well into the 40s. I'd much rather be out and about. But hey, maybe Dr. Ruth can give me some pointers.

As if I need them.

No comments:

Post a Comment