Wednesday, February 11, 2004

How High Is Too High?

I went to the doctor yesterday for my annual check-up. Everything was hunkey-dorey with one notable exception. It seems that my blood pressure readings were a bit high. They clocked me at 140/90 when I should have been doing 120/80. Had this been the first time my heart was racing, we might have shrugged it off. But I had a similar reading in November, so the good doctor wants me to monitor it.

I didn't think it was such a big deal, and I had already started to watch my salt intake, but I emailed my Mom, telling her that my blood pressure was a little high and she responded saying "140/100* is dangerously high for someone your age" and she reminded me that I have hypertension on both sides of the family.

* 140/100 was the reading I got when I checked my BP this morning upon waking up.

So, I'm not going to freak out or anything, but I am going to pay attention to this. If I increase my physical activity and drop a few pounds, I'm hoping it will make things right again. I don't want to start taking medications - if I can remedy this without drugs, I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment