Tuesday, May 24, 2005

On Vacation: Day Seventeen

This is a new concept.

I'm at the library, using the free wi-fi network there while the cleaning lady is, well, cleaning my house. I got up and went to the 8:30 pilates class at the gym, and let me tell you, the instructor kicked my butt today. She tried a few new moves on us, and unless I'm mistaken, she truly enjoyed watching me as I jacknifed up and then slowly uncurled my body, only to throw my legs over my head and do it again. Oh yeah, she enjoyed that.

So the plan is to finally write that overdue profile. Actually the plan was to go into the office and write the profile, but they are still parading candidates around and I really don't want to be there when that happens. Like I would have gotten it done at the office anyway. At least I would have had the phone at my disposal. Although someone's cell phone just rang at the next table over. Apparently nothing is sacred.

I have another assignment for the newspaper, and this time it's a doozy. Black-tie gala on Friday. And I can bring a date. I extended the invitation to my main squeeze and he hasn't gotten back to me. He's in the middle of having the floors refinished at his house, and he's not sure if he'll be able to make it. If I don't hear anything from him by the end of the day, I'm going to my back-up date, the unemployed boy next door.

I plan on wearing the new lavender gown I picked up a few weeks ago, ever though it is still only 50 fucking degees and there doesn't seem to be a snowball's chance in hell of it warming up by the end of the week. Someone said this morning that the long term forecast for the summer is much the same - cool, dreary and rainy. I bought more tanning booth coupons.

And now, at the table on the other side of me, someone popped open a Diet Coke. If I'd known that the no food rule at the library had been suspended, I would have packed my lunch.

1:57 p.m.

I blame it on hormones.

I just ate the entire little box of Hallmark chocolates that I had gotten for Susan. The box said "Boyfriends may come and go, but chocolate is forever!" I meant to give it to her over the weekend, but forgot. Now, with PMS in full swing, those chocolates didn't stand a chance. Besides, I probably worked off those 340 calories in pilates class this morning. At least that's what I'm going to tell myself. Self-delusion: it's a wonderful thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment