Sunday, October 17, 2004

My Never-Ending Party

So you heard a bit about my party on October 2 (I know, I still haven't gotten around to posting any photos) and now it's time for the rest of the story.

As you may or may not know, Kenna Fearing is a pseudonym. My real name is rather generic, I'm sure there are hundreds if not thousands of unrelated people out there who share my name. In fact, I know that there is a young 20-something Sandra Bullock look-alike who lives in NYC and has the same name I have. I know this because a local reporter wrote about her in an article at the end of August in which he gushed that she was "perhaps the most spectacular looking girl on the planet."

Around that time I was in the midst of planning my party, and since I am a single, adventurous 30-something woman who had the balls to invite men from match.com to her last party, I couldn't resist - I invited the reporter to my party.

You don't even need the back story about how this guy is a snarky condescending prick to appreciate the chuckle I got when I found out that for a split second he got excited and thought that the young woman he lusted after had actually noticed him. He discreetly checked me out, discovered that I wasn't the exact person he hoped I'd be, and did not attend the party.

Of course, at the party I'd made copies of the article and had highlighted the phrase "perhaps the most spectacular looking girl on the planet" and we were all anxiously awaiting his arrival (not). He didn't show, so I wrote an article and sent it to another local 'journalist' - she of the 'society pages' and lo and behold - she published my article (and a photo) and added a big bold headline that said "Read It And Weep, Snarky Prick."

So today, condescending guy responds with a column titled "A Party? Why I'd Love To Come" (heh, yeah - I bet you would but if you don't bother to show up at the party there's no chance of that, buster [this snide comment just occurred to me ... I slay myself]).

Anyway, I find the whole thing rather amusing and I'll sum it up with this:

Fun party dress: $18 at end of season sale at Filene's

18 long stemmed, deep bowled martini glasses: $15.48 on sale at Mikasa outlet

Ingredients for several gallons of martinis: $99.76

Getting your name in the local paper along with the phrase "quite possibly the most spectacular looking girl on the planet" three times in the last 60 days: Priceless

No comments:

Post a Comment