Friday, June 10, 2005

On Vacation: Day Twenty-Nine

It just keeps getting better.

But before I launch into stories and show you a few photos, I must first take care of today's postcard. Dan, this one is for you. I think I found you on the "Next Blog" button and boy, am I glad I did. I just loved the title of your blog, the fact that you are a writer, and you are cute as a button to boot! We've been on the same wavelength since day one. How cool is that? I'm so sorry I missed your call on Wednesday - I'm still confused by that time zone thing. My phone said the call was received at 6:22 p.m. and I looked at the clock in the room and it was 6:25 p.m. and so I thought I had just missed you. Of course, you had called an hour earlier - my phone is set to Eastern time, and I was in the Central time zone with you so ... anyway. Can't wait for the day when we're not only in the same time zone but in the same town!

So Dan gets today's postcard. And it may be the last one I send unless you folks start sending me your address. Frilly? r? Amanda? Deb? Brian? Can't believe my regulars have deserted me on this one. Was it something I said? And what about you, Zulu? Ed? Dan Tobin? SJ? Good grief, do I have to pray to Blog Jesus?

So. My trip. With Larry. A guy I met on June 1. Flew to New Orleans on June 6 to spend a few days with him while he was at a conference. Could have been a disaster. Instead, was an amazing adventure. No, I don't think Larry is the love of my life. He's just a great guy who shares many of the same perspectives I do. Someone who is divorced and 40 and not ready to settle down again. Someone with whom I immediately felt comfortable - and he felt the same way too. Here are a few photos:



I'm too tired to create hyperlinks for these - if you want to see larger views then go to my flickr page. The reason I'm tired is that my trip back did not go as smoothly as my trip down. You know how everything seems to be falling into place for me? Well, I was wondering when things would start going wrong, and it was at 4:30 yesterday afternoon. My connecting flight from Dulles was cancelled. I stood in line for two and a half hours to get rebooked on a later flight - to Boston. Yes, Boston. Not Hartford, from whence I'd flown. I met up with a businessman who was renting a car to drive back to Hartford.

The flight to Boston was delayed. Left DC at midnight, got into Boston at 1:30 a.m. I slept a little on the flight, but not enough. Was able to sleep some on the drive to Hartford, but not much. When we got to the Hartford airport at 4:30 a.m. I decided to just take a nap. Pulled into a hotel parking lot and slept for an hour before attempting the remainder of my 2 1/2 hour drive back home. Got in around 8:30 this morning and thought I could go to sleep. Guess again. And I'm supposed to get in the car and drive 4 hours to visit my family for the weekend. Luckily, I have a co-pilot and unbeknownst to her, she'll be doing all the driving this afternoon!

So I thought my luck had run out. But it didn't. Because I got a call from my local radio station this morning. I won a weekend getaway to Montreal. I kid you not.

Who wants to come with?

No comments:

Post a Comment