Friday, June 17, 2005

On Vacation: Day Thirty-Four

It's a little late in the day, but I'm back and ready to blog.

Spent the last few days at a conference in Cooperstown, NY - home of the Baseball Hall of Fame, the Farmer's Museum, and the Fenimore Art Museum. A totally cute little town.

I was enjoying my last hurrah as treasurer of a state-wide organization - perhaps a little too much. I overindulged in vodka cranberry tonics and made the mistake of mixing them with white wine. And chasing it down with brie and pretzels. Oh yeah. I got trashed. Again.

My friend Michelle was with me, and she has decided that I'm lactose intolerant. At least, that's what she told everyone who wondered where I was yesterday. I spent the day in bed, rising occasionally to hurl bile from the bottom of my stomach. I threw up for the last time around 4:30 p.m. Michelle came to my rescue with a banana. When I was able to keep that down for more than an hour, I managed to go down for the cocktail reception - at which I did NOT consume any cocktails. I skipped dinner - didn't want to risk a sudden dash for the ladies room.

After a good night's sleep, I was feeling much better today. Managed a healthy breakfast, lunch and dinner. I'm going to try to get my life back on track tomorrow by going to the gym.

Glad you all had a chance to meet Susan. Like I said, not sure how often she'll be stopping by, but you can be sure that she'll leave pithy comments when she does.

I got two more takers on the postcard offer - for all you Johnny Come Latelys, here's the deal. I buy postcards wherever I go and I never actually send them. The thought is that I will put them in a scrapbook to document my travels. But I haven't cracked open a scrapbook in a decade. So I'm sending these postcards to my blogger friends.

Interestingly enough, when I toured the art museum earlier today, there was a display there noting that postcards originated in Europe but that by 1905 they had been popularized here in the United States. So, in a sense, it's the 100th anniversary of the postcard. Totally fitting that I am celebrating in this way! Celebrate with me -send your snail mail address to kennafearing [at] gmail [dot] com and I'll send you a postcard - I actually picked up a dozen more today!

Michelle actually had a good idea - I'm having a party next Saturday, and I'm going to jot the recipe for my special martini on the postcards and hand them out as a party favor. So hopefully the postcards will be gone by the end of the month. I hope so.

Okay - enough for now. We'll see how the weekend goes and whether or not I have anything interesting to post. If not, look for an update on Day Thirty-Five.

No comments:

Post a Comment