Tuesday, April 27, 2004

Word of the Day

From Michelle (with a little help from dictionary.com):

en·nui n.
Listlessness and dissatisfaction resulting from lack of interest; boredom: “The servants relieved their ennui with gambling and gossip about their masters” (John Barth).

ennui
\En`nui"\, n. [F., fr. L. in odio in hatred. See Annoy.] A feeling of weariness and disgust; dullness and languor of spirits, arising from satiety or want of interest; tedium. --T. Gray.
Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

ennui
n : the feeling of being bored by something tedious [syn: boredom, tedium]

She's feeling it. And I am too. Which is why the losing of the job really doesn't bother (having 15 months notice is a big help). I haven't told Michelle about my impending departure yet. She lives in another city but works for a similar organization and we met each other at a conference and now serve on the same board. I wanted to tell her in person which I may be able to do this weekend.

I think I'm going to pack the blender and margarita glasses. We're gonna need them.

No comments:

Post a Comment