Tuesday, March 30, 2004

Sudden Insight

I know what's missing. Interaction. Brain-storming. Teamwork. There's none of that here. We are a division of about 10 people and we don't friggin' talk to each other. I just had a 10 minute conversation with a colleague, and suddenly little neutrons were firing in my brain. We were cooking - sharing an idea, commiserating, connecting. That happens so rarely around here.

I know part of it is my fault - I tend to sit here at my desk, facing out but behind the computer screen. I don't venture out there very often. Maybe because there have been times when my ideas were shot down or because I got the subtle but strong vibe that said "that's not the way things are done here." But spend a few minutes with me, charge me up and the ideas will roll. Doesn't matter if you don't like them or not - I'm not so cocky that I think I am the end all and be all, but at least have an open mind. Be willing to take a risk - let me run with something (scissors? couldn't resist that) and see how far I can go.

Besides monster.com (from which I have absolutely no expectations - all I'm getting is come-ons from sales reps for organizations which are not named) my resume is now posted on the web site of two major universities and the national organization which oversees my profession. I fully intend on going to the local career fair in mid-April and I will send my resume to two local women who are highly placed within their local companies.

I don't even know if I want to change jobs, but to borrow the title of a pretty good movie, something's gotta give.

No comments:

Post a Comment